Evan Lamprecht Of Altus Architectural Studios: Face Time

University of Nebraska Medical Center Munroe Meyer Institute, Omaha, Neb.Evan Lamprecht, partner at Altus Architectural Studios (Omaha, Neb.) shares how growing up in a family of healthcare professionals influenced his career and why you’ll find a roll of trace paper on his desk.

What drew you to a career in healthcare design?

Healthcare has always been a part of my life. My mother was a nurse, and my father was a healthcare architect. My mom’s desire to help others influenced me to want to do the same. My dad took pride in planning spaces that allow staff to work more efficiently and patients to heal more effectively. I have always enjoyed design, working with people, and solving problems. Combining these passions and the opportunity to help others makes healthcare architecture the ideal career choice for me.

What was your first healthcare project?

My first healthcare project was for MercyOne Dubuque in Dubuque, Iowa. The project included a front entry and lobby expansion/renovation at MercyOne Dubuque in Dubuque, Iowa. Planning and designing the new “front door” was an exciting opportunity to create an entirely new image for the hospital. The existing entry lacked scale and a prominent location, which created wayfinding challenges on campus for patients and visitors. Inside, the 1970s style lobby was transformed with improved circulation, patient areas, and finishes.

What design lesson from this project do you still carry with you?

Purposeful wayfinding is critical to a successful hospital environment. When patients and visitors struggle to find a place to park, the front entry, check-in area, or the departments they need to access, it creates additional anxiety when it is not needed. Creating a solution where circulation is intuitive for patients and visitors is challenging but required in a well-designed healthcare setting.

Three recent healthcare projects and your role

University of Nebraska Medical Center Munroe Meyer Institute, Omaha, Neb.1 University of Nebraska Medical Center Munroe Meyer Institute, Omaha, Neb., project architect.

2 Developmental Disability Centers of Nebraska, Omaha, Neb., principal in charge.

3 Myrtue Medical Center, emergency department renovation and expansion, Harlan, Iowa, principal in charge and architect.

What do you like best about working in healthcare design?

I enjoy the process of hearing a client’s goals at the first meeting and seeing the look on their face at the grand opening.

What challenges about your work keep you up at night?

Concerns about missing an opportunity to create the best possible project is something that can weigh on me. At Altus, we always strive to make the current project better than the last one and staying attuned to “never settling for the status quo” is one of the ways we continue to delight our project owners and those who ultimately use each space.

An unexpected item on your desk

Evan Lamprecht, partner at Altus Architectural StudiosA roll of trace paper. Even in a digital world, I find value in designing with pen and paper.

Evan Lamprecht, partner at Altus Architectural Studios Outside the office, we’ll likely find you …
Spending time in our backyard or at the lake with my two boys and my wife Meganne.

Dog or cat?

We currently do not have any pets, but I have always been a dog person because of their loyalty and their desire to get outside and play.

Coffee or tea?

Coffee.

Morning person or night owl?

Night Owl. Late nights in architecture school changed me and it has been difficult to switch back to a morning person. That also explains my preference for coffee.

Fashion trend you think should make a comeback

Curved bill baseball hats because flat bill hats do not work for me.

How did you make your first dollar?

Mowing my parents’ lawn. I learned to enjoy the time on a riding mower and the satisfaction of seeing a fresh-cut lawn.

Your go-to karaoke song

“Closing Time” by Semisonic.

First album you ever bought

“Now That’s What I Call Music!” featuring various artists.

Cocktail of choice

Captain and Diet Coke.

Your hidden talent

Home remodel projects. Everyone loves a great “before and after” photo and I enjoy being the one swinging the hammer to make it happen. This also gives me a great appreciation for the contractors who build our projects.

If you weren’t an architect, you would be …

A developer. This career path has the components of architecture and construction that I enjoy with additional layers of finance and business.

Favorite …

Quote “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”—Abraham Lincoln

Movie character All the great action-film stars, including Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, etc.

Show to binge watch “Ozark.” It’s full of twists and turns.

Weekend activity Time with family. I love creating fun memories.

Band/musical artist John Mayer. He’s an amazing guitarist and easy to listen to.

Guilty pleasure Sweets, especially baked goods. Some of my favorites include pies and cookies.

Snack when you travel Sunflower seeds. They keep me awake on long drives.

Sport Basketball. I played in college, and I will always love the sport.

Team Nebraska Cornhuskers. I’ve been a fan since I was born and always will be.

Book “Leaders Eat Last,” by Simon Sinek. It’s a great reminder of leadership traits that separate bosses from leaders.

City to visit Santorini, Greece. It has amazing sites, people, and food.

 

The post Evan Lamprecht Of Altus Architectural Studios: Face Time first appeared on HCD Magazine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Willapa Harbor Hospital Plans $65M Replacement Hospital In Washington State

Supporting The Connection Between Facility Design And Outcomes

Expansion of Sharp Rees-Stealy Otay Ranch Medical Center Underway